Friday, February 27, 2015

Thursdy Night Jams

My friend Johnny Keener invited me down to the White Eagle for an impromptu solo set last night. I had a good time catching the 24 Fremont bus from near my house on 88th all the way down to Legacy Emmanual Hospital and then walking the last 1/2 mile to the gig. A quiet night but cozy and with a nice scattering of folks who were good listeners and clappers. One thing about playing solo - you can really tell which tunes work with just voice and guitar and which ones just plain don't work. Ancient History is one of my fvorites from my new CD but to me it is just a bit plodding and less-interesting without a band behind it. Other tunes like Loser Town will always work better, just 'cause it has a good melody and satisfying chord changes. Johnny and his friend Paul on lap steel made a good sound together, very mellow and warm on the ears in a nice, moody brick-walled bar. Here they are covering Dan Jones "The Finder":




No comments:

Post a Comment