Friday, December 12, 2014

I get by with a little help from my friends



Before I moved to Portland in April, 2012, I spent my final months in Eugene working out the 10 songs that eventually became my forthcoming release, Interim. Over the last two years, I've spent a lot of time corralling and cajoling my various musician friends to play on my home-recorded tracks. Since I've been in Portland, I've probably spent more time working with Hans than just about anyone else. Hans and I met in Eugene, I don't remember when, but it seems like I've known him through basement folk and punk shows and through various random meet-ups. We both live in PDX now and I love it when he comes over on a weeknight to play after the kids are in bed. We'll lurk down in the basement, combining intertwining banjo and guitar lines, or blending fiddle with alien slide guitar to a neat effect. He plays around as Nettles J Oakland and is one of Baby Gramps preferred sidemen, laying down some great fiddle textures to Gramps' fractured blues-folk-throat-singing-stomp-chant. Maybe he has music on the internet - I don't know. The most recent thing we did was record his fiddle on the song "Aliens are Coming" at Haywire studios during my mixdown session a few weeks back. He is a great creative player who understands the random human condition conveyed through music. Thanks, Hans! Here's a clip of him playing with the famous Baby Gramps in 2010:

1 comment:

  1. Here's a glut of excellent tracks he's got online!
    https://giantonthethunderhead.bandcamp.com/album/green-green-green
    https://soundcloud.com/kalahansa
    https://giantonthethunderhead.bandcamp.com/album/complete-bedroom-disco

    ReplyDelete